Well, somehow I blinked and we are halfway through 2017. I remember when I was a kid always hearing adults say how quickly time goes, but man alive….they were right! Here’s where we are on the 10 in ’17 list of goals I posted at the beginning of the year.
1. Run a race. This hasn’t happened yet. I am honestly only about to run between 1-2 miles at this point. But….I’m planning on doing a marathon relay (my part will be just over 5 miles) in November, so there is hope for this little goal yet!
2. Read 4 books. I’ve been holding my own on the book front if you count audiobooks, which I do at this stage in my life. Here’s the list so far…expect blog posts coming about each one sometime soon.
- Giddy Up Eunice by Sophie Hudson. I loved this book about the importance of female relationships between generations. I even gave it as a gift to a couple of friends!
- Space at the Table: Conversations Between an Evangelical Theologian and His Gay Son by Brad Harpe and Drew Harper (Audiobook). I thought this book was really well done and I really think that it is something everyone should listen to. I even recommended it to two friends of mine who are gay and they both said it was very accurate with regard to how it felt for them to grow up in predominantly Christian communities.
- The Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell (Audiobook). This book was okay, it was packed full of statistics and was maybe not quite as exciting as I expected, but I did enjoy listening to it as I drove around Texas.
I’m currently working on Breaking Up with Perfect by Amy Carroll and Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker (audio version). After those, I’ve got Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance and Jen’s new book, Of Mess and Moxie, on my list.
3. Go to adoration 20 times. Zero excuses for not having done this. I’ll be hustling up to get back on track. Luckily, I’ve got several trips to my the location of my favorite chapel coming up soon!
4. Hike in Palo Duro Canyon. I blame crazy schedules for not making this one happen. And now, it’s just too dang hot. So…this fall I’ve recruited my friend Lisa to help me check this off!
√ 5. Grow a garden. Bam. Done. The Boy from Texas built me a raised bed box and our neighbor filled it with dirt. We planted tomatoes, squash, celery, and strawberries. So far, only the tomatoes have been productive, although the squash look to be close behind.
7. Declutter. I’m not as far along as I’d like to be, but I have been working on this slowly. You can imagine that trying to get it done with two kiddos around is next to impossible! But, I have cleaned out desks, given away almost all outgrown baby clothes, I’ve got my maternity clothes boxed up and ready to go, and I need to tackle the garage totes next.
√ 8. Finish Uncle Buddy’s Book. Miracle of miracles, the book is done. If you’ve followed my blogging for a while, you know that this has been quite the project. We started 8 years ago and to now see it in print just really makes my heart happy. I loved being a small part of helping my Uncle Buddy achieve his dream. (If you want to order one, please let me know by commenting below! They are also available at the Create Space Store or on Amazon.)
9. Send a friend a little note once a month. I haven’t kept track of this like I should have. I know I’ve done some, just not sure how many or which months. So…I’m going to just call a mulligan and start over with July.
10. Blog 100 times. Back when I started this blogging thing in 2009, I would write multiple times a week. Now, there are sometimes it is only once a month. Life, you know? But I really do want to continue to share my stories and struggles and thoughts and life with you all. So, I’m going to try and get back in the groove! So far, I’ve written 36 posts. Going to have to step things up!